- Relations internationales
- Migration transnationale
- Murs et frontières
Said Saddiki is currently a professor of international relations and international law at Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah University, Fez, Morocco. He served as professor at Al-Ain University of Science and Technology, Abu Dhabi, UAE, from September 2012 to July 2019. He is the author of six books, including “World of Walls: Structure, Roles and Effectiveness of Separation Barriers” (2017) and “The State in a Changing World: Nation-State and New Global Challenges” (in Arabic) (2008). He has received a number of international awards and grants, including Fulbright Visiting Scholarship, Research Fellowship at the NATO Defense College in Rome and the Arab Prize in the Social Sciences and Humanities. He is currently interested in separation border barriers, foreign policy analysis, international migration, and the Western Sahara dispute.
- World of Walls: Structure, Roles and Effectiveness of Separation Barriers (Cambridge, UK: Open Book Publishers, 2017). (ISBN: 9781783743681)
- State in a Changing World: Nation-State and New Global Challenges (in Arabic) (Abu Dhabi: the Emirates Center for Strategic Studies and Research, 2008). (ISBN: 978-9948-00-944-3)
- “The Maghreb and Intra-African Migration: One Challenge and Different Strategies.” In Intra-Africa migrations: borders as challenges and opportunities, edited by Inocent Moyo, Jussi P. Laine, Christopher Changwe Nshimb (London: Routledge, 2021). ISBN: 9780367550462
- “Border Walls in a Regional Context: The Case of Morocco and Algeria.” In Borders and Border Walls: In-Security, Symbolism, Vulnerabilities, edited by Elisabeth Vallet and Andreanne Bissonnette (New York: Routledge, 2020), pp. 106-116. ISBN: 9780367370626
- “Effects of Covid 19 on international politics?” In The World After the “Pandemic, edited by Mohammed El-Beniyadi and Mostafa Chaib (Oujda: Nebras Publications 2020), pp. 266-275. ISBN 978-9954-9457-1-1
- “Open Internal Borders and Closed External Borders in the EU,” In Open Borders: In Defense of Free Movement, edited by Reece Jones (Athens, GA: University of Georgia Press, 2019), pp.169-176. (co-authored with Meryem Lakhdar) ISBN: 978-0820354262
- “The Regional Context of Local and Regional Elections in Morocco of September 4, 2015.” In Elections in Morocco: Analytic approaches of Local and Regional Electoral Results of September 2015 (Rabat: Maghareb Centre, 2016), pp.110-128. ISBN: 978-9954-38-061-1
- “Border Fences as an Anti-immigration Device: A Comparative View of American and Spanish Policies.” In Borders, Fences and Walls: State of Insecurity?, edited by Elisabeth Vallet (Farnham: Ashgate Publishing, 2014), pp.175-190. ISBN: 978-1-4724-2966-7
- “Understanding Conquest through a Border Lens: A Comparative Analysis of the Mexico-U.S. and Moroccan-Spanish Regions.” In Beyond Walls and Cages: Prison, Borders, and Global Crisis, edited by Jenna M. Loyd et al. (Athens, GA: The University of Georgia Press, 2012), pp.27-41. (co-authored with Cynthia Bejarano and Maria Cristina Morales) ISBN: 978-0-8203-4411-9
- "L'évolution du concept d'autodétermination dans le droit international contemporain.” In Le différend Saharien devant l’organisation des Nations Unies, sous diction du Centre d’Etudes Internationales (Paris: Karthala, 2011), pp.97-113. ISBN: 978-2-8111-0535-8
- “The Politics of Teaching International Relations in the Arab World: Reading Walt in Beirut, Wendt in Doha, and Abul-Fadl in Cairo,” International Studies Perspectives, (Advanced Article, 2021). (co-authored with May Darwich, Morten Valbjørn, Bassel F Salloukh, et al.). ISSN: 1528-3577 https://doi.org/10.1093/isp/ekaa020
- “The Fortification of the Arab States’ Borders in the Sub-Regional Contexts,”, Paix et Sécurité Internationales, num. 6, 2018, pp. 145-160. ISSN 2341-0868
- “Border Fencing India: Between Colonial Legacy and Changing Security Challenges,” International Journal of Arts & Sciences, Vol. 7, No. 5 (2016), pp.111-124. ISSN: 1944-6934
- “Israel and the Fencing Policy: A Barrier on Every Seam Line,” Research Paper, Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies (June 2015).
- "Arab Public Opinion and NATO after the International Military Operations in Libya," Alternatives-Turkish Journal of International Relations, Vol. 11, No. 2 (Summer 2012), pp. 78-89. ISSN:2146-0809
- “The Sahara Wall: Status and Prospects,” Journal of Borderlands Studies, Vol. 27, No. 2 (2012), pp. 199-212. ISSN: 0886-5655
- «Les clôtures de Ceuta et de Melilla : Une frontière européenne multidimensionnelle», Revue Études internationales, 43, No. 1 (mars 2012), pp. 49-65 . ISSN: 1703-7891
- "The Evolution of the Concept of Self-determination in international Law,” Revue de Droid et d’Economie, No. 25 (April 2011), pp.127-143.
- “El papel de la diplomacia cultural en las relaciones internacionales,” Revista CIDOB d’Afers Internacionals, núm. 88 (12/2009), pp. 107-118. ISSN: 1133-6595
- "Transnational Virtual Space: A New Arena and New Actors,” Revue de Droid et d’Economie, No. 24 (December 2009), pp.137-149.
- “Diplomacy in a Changing World,” Alternatives-Turkish Journal of International Relations, Vol. 5, No.4 (Winter 2006), pp.93-105. ISSN:2146-0809
- "Territoriality and New Global Challenges,” Almustaqbal Al-Arabi Magazine, No. 332 (September 2006), pp. 120-132. ISSN: 10249834
- “The New Turkish Presence in North Africa: Ambitions and Challenges,” Konrad- Adenauer-Stiftung, Med Dialogue Series, No. 33, December 2020. https://bit.ly/2VYF9QZ
- "Will Algerian Foreign Policy Change Towards its Neighbors in the Next Decade?" Moroccan Institute for Policy Analysis, 31 March 2020. https://mipa.institute/7654
- "Morocco's Foreign Policy Treads on the Shifting Sands of Africa," Moroccan Institute for Policy Analysis, April 2018. https://mipa.institute/5620
- “The Civic Role of Arab Universities,” AUB Policy Institute, Policy Brief 13\2016 (December 2016). https://www.aub.edu.lb/ifi/Documents/publications/policy_briefs/2016-2017/20161208_LAES.pdf
- “Maghreb Countries and ‘Packets Storm’ between Support and Reservation,” Al Jazeera Centre for Studies (April 8, 2015). https://studies.aljazeera.net/ar/reports/2015/04/201548105346888807.html
- “The Evolution of Moroccan Army: Two Eras and One Approach,” Al Jazeera Centre for Studies (March 23, 2015). https://studies.aljazeera.net/ar/reports/2015/03/201532364121389332.html
- "The Western Sahara Dispute: a Moroccan Perspective,” Estudios Africanos, (Universidad Externado de Colombia in Bogota) Boletín 04, (January-February\ Enero – Febrero de 2012), pp. 20-24. https://estudiosafricanos.wocom/2012/11/01/the-western-sahara-dispute-a-moroccan-perspective/
- “Teaching International Relations Theories in Moroccan Universities,” paper presented at a workshop organized by the Arab Political Science Network (APSN) at the Lebanese American University (LAU) in Beirut, December 13, 2019.
- “Border Walls in a Regional Context: The Case of Morocco and Algeria,” paper presented at a Workshop on Borders and Border Walls: In-Security, Symbolism, Vulnerabilities, organized by the Raoul Dandurand Chair at the University of Quebec at Montreal, Canada, October 18, 2019.
- “Moroccan Border Barriers between Security Objectives and Political Dimensions,” paper presented at The Fourth Conference of the Arab Council for the Social Sciences on “Power, Borders and Ecologies in Arab Societies: Practices and Imaginaries,” Beirut (Lebanon), April 12-14, 219.
- "Morocco’s Border Walls: Political and Security Aspects,” paper presented at the international conference "Borders and Border Walls, a New Era? (In)security, Symbolism, Vulnerabilities" organized by the Raoul Dandurand Chair at the University of Quebec at Montreal, Canada, September 27-28, 2018.
- “Fortifying the Arab States' borders and Regional Subsystems,” paper presented at the 25th World Congress of Political Science organized by the International Political Science Association, Brisbane (Australia), July 21-25, 2018.
- “Morocco’s Management of cross-border movements: Threats, Policies, and Effectiveness,” paper presented at an international seminar entitled “Morocco: Aspirations and Challenges of a Key Partner for Spain and the EU” organized by the Elcano Royal Institute and the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, Madrid, Spain, March 7-8, 2018.
- “Fencing the Arab States’ Borders between the Imperatives of National Security and the Nature of the Existing Regional Systems,” paper presented at Third Conference of the Arab Council for the Social Sciences on “State, Sovereignty and Social Space in the Arab Region: Emerging Historical and Theoretical Approaches,” Beirut (Lebanon), March 10-12, 2017.
- "Fortifying the Morocco-Algeria border: Security Concerns and Regional Competition," paper presented at the international conference "Borders, Walls and Violence: Costs and Alternatives to Border Fencing" organized by the Raoul Dandurand Chair at the University of Quebec at Montreal, Canada, June 2-3, 2016.
- “Border Fencing in India: Between Colonial Legacy and Changing Security Challenges,” paper presented at the International Multidisciplinary Conference organized by Al-Ain University and the International Journal of Arts and Sciences, Al-Ain City, United Arab Emirates, January 31, 2016, to February 4, 2016.
- "Israeli Separation Barriers: Contexts, Impacts and Effectiveness," paper presented at the international conference "Borders, Walls and Security" organized by the Raoul Dandurand Chair at the University of Quebec at Montreal in association with the Association for Borderlands Studies, October 17th and 18th, 2013.
- “New Dimensions of Saudi Arabia’s Diplomacy towards the Muslim World,” paper presented at the international conference on "efforts of the kingdom of Saudi Arabia in the service of Islamic issues", organized by the Islamic University in Madinah (Saudi Arabia), December 19-21, 2010.
- “Ceuta and Melilla Fences: a EU Multidimensional Border?” paper presented at the annual conference of the Canadian Political Science Association (Congress 2010 of the Humanities and Social Sciences) at the Concordia University (Montreal- Canada), June 1-3, 2010.
- “Sahara Wall and Fences of Ceuta and Melilla,” paper presented at the round table organized by the (Studies and Research Group on Partnership for Development) at the Faculty of Law (Fez- Morocco), April 17, 2010.
- “Sahara Wall: Status and Prospects,” paper presented at the International Conference on “Fences and Walls in International Relations” organized by the Raoul-Dandurand Chair of Strategic and Diplomatic Studies in the University of Quebec in Montreal (Canada), October 29-30, 2009.
- “Ceuta and Melilla Fences: Preventing Irregular Immigration or Imposing a status Quo?” paper presented at the International Conference on “Fences and Walls in International Relations” organized by the Raoul-Dandurand Chair of Strategic and Diplomatic Studies in the University of Quebec in Montreal (Canada), April 1st
- “The Internet and the Transformation of Public Space,” paper presented at the First International Conference on "Communication Technologies and Social change", organized by King Saud University in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), March 15-16-17, 2009.
- "The Role of Cultural Diplomacy in International Relations,” paper presented at the International Seminar on "Communication, Social space and intercultural Dynamics", organized by CIDOB Foundation (Barcelona, Spain), September 18-19, 2008.
- The Middle East Education Leadership Award – “Best Professor in Public Law”. Presented by Asian Confederation of Businesses with CMO Asia, Dubai, October 5, 2016.
- The Arab Prize in the Social Sciences and Humanities 2014-2015 given by the Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies. Doha, Qatar.
- Research Distinction Award, Al-Ain University of Science and Technology, UAE (2013).
- Research Fellow at the NATO Defense College (Rome, Italy) for three months (April- July 2012). Research project title “Arab Public Opinion and NATO”.
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar Grant at University of Texas at El Paso (Center for Inter-American Border Studies), for three months (October 1st, 2010 – December 31st, 2010) on “Irregular Migration and Border Fences: A Comparative Study of US-Mexico and Morocco-Spain Borders”.
- "Action Intégré”- Co-coordinator of a Spanish-Moroccan research team (University of Fez and University of Jaén) on “Developing a Protocol for Action between the Spanish and Moroccan Authorities for the Protection of Moroccan Unaccompanied Minors” sponsored by The Spanish-Moroccan Mixed Inter-University Committee (2009) (A/018146/08).